- NZSPC Resources
Research, links, news and documents of interest to secondary and area school principals.
- Last Updated: 19 October 2016
NZSPC chair Alan Vester talks to the PPTA annual conference about the education funding review.
- Last Updated: 07 September 2016
More on the Funding Review
There have been two meetings of the funding review group this month so far. However, our initial concerns about the ministry’s focus on redistribution of current funding in ways that make its own job simpler (but may not necessarily assist schools) and the potential increase in workload and responsibility for boards and principals, have not been assuaged.
Principals’ Funding Review Group Meeting
On the 19th of August members of SPC met with other principals in Wellington to go through the elements of the ministry’s proposals.
The area currently covered by decile is covered in the section on Funding to support children and young people most at risk of educational under-achievement. While there is no argument that it’s well worth aiming for a more targeted and accurate model that is less susceptible to misuse just what any new model might look like is still up for debate.
Certainly there is real interest in using a different set of indicators of educational risk and that section in the Ministry papers is well worth reading. For me, if all this ends up doing is calculating need and distributing the existing funds in somewhat different ways, not a great deal will have been achieved. I believe that to really address the needs of those students most at risk, there needs to be quantum shift in the funding.
Finally, it is the School Global Budget Concept that really has many different groups concerned. The proposal is that schools would get an annual government funding amount – the Global Budget. From that budget schools would have to meet all their operational costs, including teaching salaries.
It is proposed to pay salaries in the form of a credit based on a notional average rate. Schools would decide how many teachers they were going to have (or more likely could afford) and the ministry would pay the actual salary and debit the school budget at a notional average rate.
- Global budget bulk funding
- Secondary Principals’ Council Meeting 31 May – 1 Jun 2016: Notes
- Why doesn't the School Trustees Association trust our principals?
- A course for principals: Employment relations in state secondary & area schools
- Secondary Principals' Council newsletter April 2016
- Notes from Secondary Principals’ Council meeting 22-23 March 2016
- Wellington Girls College Principal Julia Davidson - Is over-assessment to blame for rising anxiety and stress
- School Decile Funding - Radio NZ interviews Susanne Jungerson, Julia Davidson and Mark Brown
- Secondary principals accept IES leadership role
- Payments of school fees and donations by parents of students - PPTA advice
- Alan Vester discusses High Court ruling on exclusion of student
- What's worth fighting for in education - NZSPC conference presentations
- The school board as employer
- Stand-downs, suspensions, exclusions and expulsions guidelines
- Staff competency procedures
- School leadership and student outcomes
- School balls: advice from the Police-Education partnership
- Principals' experience of the school board as employer
- Principals' career and appraisal toolkit