Secondary Principals' Collective Agreement (SPCA)
The Secondary Principals' Collective Agreement (SPCA) 2013 - 2016 is the employment agreement that sets out the conditions of employment, salary rates and rights and entitlements for NZSPC principal members in secondary schools, including composite (year 7-13) schools, junior and senior high schools and integrated schools.
Secondary Principal's salary calculator (being updated)
SPCA 2011 Professional Standards for Principals
- Last Updated on Thursday, 02 May 2013 23:04
Principal professional standards are integral to Part 4 of the Secondary Principals' Collective Agreement (SPCA) 2011 - 2013. This is the employment agreement that sets out the conditions of employment, salary rates and rights and entitlements for NZSPC principal members in secondary schools, including composite (year 7-13) schools, junior and senior high schools and integrated schools.
The following professional standards were developed in 2009 following consultation with the NZPPTA, SPANZ, NZSTA, Teachers Council and ERO in accordance with section 77C of the State Sector Act.
They form part of the principal’s performance agreement as detailed in Part 4. Changes to these professional standards can be made under section 77 of the State Sector Act where the Secretary for Education may prescribe matters that are to be taken into account in assessing the performance of principals. To do this, section 77 requires consultation with the NZPPTA and SPANZ, as organisations that represent principals who will be subject to such standards.
Readers should check for any updates to the professional standards for Secondary School Principals on the Ministry of Education’s website at www.minedu.govt.nz.
Professional Standards for Secondary Principals
The Professional Standards have been drawn from the Kiwi Leadership for Principals document and educational leadership best evidence. The Standards form a component part of the principal’s performance agreement alongside other components such as the school’s strategic and annual plans, the principal’s job description, and the New Zealand Teachers’ Council criteria for registration as a teacher.
These Standards contribute to a framework which assists in assessing and reviewing current practice and in identifying future professional development.
Part 4 of the Secondary Principals’ Collective Agreement describes the responsibility of the employing board to develop the principal’s performance agreement.
- SPCA 2011 Part One: Application of the agreement
- SPCA 2011 Part Two: General Provisions
- SPCA 2011 Part Three: Remuneration
- SPCA 2011 Part Four: Professional Leadership and Annual Performance Review
- SPCA 2011 Part Five: Leave
- SPCA 2011 Part Six: Disciplinary Provisions
- SPCA 2011 Part Seven: Termination for Medical Reasons
- SPCA 2011 Part Eight: Disestablishment
- SPCA 2011 Part Nine: Resignation
- SPCA 2011 Part Ten: Removal Expenses
- SPCA 2011 Part Eleven: Employment Problem Resolution Procedures
- SPCA 2011 Part Twelve: Miscellaneous
- Appendix A - Terms of Settlement of the Secondary Principals' Collective Agreement (SPCA) 2013
- SPCA Schedule A: School Closure
- SPCA Schedule B: Employment Problem Resolution